Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Loy Kratong!!!

Now that I know people check the blog daily I feel guilty when I don't post everyday. Since I missed yesterday I staying up late to post this. Today was Loy Kratong, a Thai holiday when people "loy" (float) their "kratongs" (little flower boats that represent your troubles). The idea is to put your troubles/worries into the boat and float it down the river away from you. At least that's what I've always been told. Apparently Loy Kratong actually started as an offering to the water goddess for a good harvest, how/when it was turned into getting rid of your troubles is a mystery to me.

Last year we were in Chaing Mai and did both the water floating kratongs and the flying kratongs. I swear I posted about this already but I can't seem to find it. Here are some pictures from last year.



This year we went to the park next to Emporium and loyed in the pond. It was packed! We didn't stay long but did get to meet up with Tai and family. Hopefully Aunty Annie got some better pictures.

3 comments:

alexis o said...

ahhh.. so CUTE.. and yah i do check the blog pretty much every day. it's nice to check in and see your smiling faces!

marissa said...

oh they are so cute

dej4 said...

hmmm now i feel i need to check more often. i always leave a comment when i stop by. hehe

happy loy kratong. i love how little tira looks in last years pic....