Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Community Food Co-op of Utah

I'm a budget fiend... I have this crazy 10 tab excel schedule that's better than QuickBooks to help me track and stay on top of my budget. I've impressed many people with it (I'm also very modest). One thing that always comes up when showing people my budgeting amazingness is how much I spend on food each month. The number usually makes people faint. It's pretty ridiculous how much food two tiny little girls can pack down - not to mention two old folks. I try very had to manage our food budget and keep it reasonable but sometimes that's hard. The girls could each 10xs their weight in fruit alone.

That's why I was so very excited to discover the Community Food Co-op of Utah!! I've now purchased a "share" of food from them twice. It's all very simple, you register on their website (the first time you order you have to do it over the phone or fax), select which "share" you want and any extras, pay and in two weeks you pick it up and have fresh delicious groceries at a fraction of the super market prices.

There are 3 types of orders - a standard share (what I typically get), a harvest share (vegetarian), and a half share. The price and amount of food stay the same each month but the actual content is different. This month I got the standard share for $23 and got:
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 lbs. chicken thighs
  • 4 8oz. pork chops
  • lb. fajita strips
  • 4 Idaho apples
  • 4 Brigham City peaches
  • 4 Utah pears
  • 5 lbs. Utah red potatoes
  • 1 Utah acorn squash
  • 3 Utah green bell peppers
  • 4 Utah sweet corn
  • 4 Utah tomatoes
  • Stone Ground's Artisan Wheat Loaf
  • 16 oz. rice (white or brown)






The best part is that the quality is amazing and the majority of the fruits and vegetables are organic! They also include specials each month, last month I got local tamales and this month I got a nut sampler. Next month I plan on getting the nut sample, the bratwurst and the granola!

The other great part is that included in the price is 2 hours of community service. This can be any where (although they ask you to do at least 2 hours a year at the co-op). So last Wednesday Grandma braved the scary SLC highways and traffic (only got lost 3 times) and helped bag rice at the Co-op's warehouse. Sorry no pictures.

I think everyone should look for a co-op in their area and get involved! The more people who participate the cheaper the prices, the better the food, and the more community service!!

No comments: