Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cupcake Review

Following the tradition I started on Tira's third birthday I took Lanna out for birthday cupcakes. The first two times we went to Mini's Cupcakes out in Sugarhouse. The first time I really enjoyed it but the second time I was disappointed in the fact that the cupcakes were very cold and dry. While we were there I watched as the girl behind the counter pulled a tray of cupcakes out of the freezer and stick them in the display case. That explained the cold and dry part.

For Tira's 4th birthday we drove all the way down to American Fork to Flour Girls & Dough Boys. They were TERRIBLE. Apparently I never blogged about it so I'll plan to do a catch up post but let's just say after a long drive and getting lost it was a huge let down.

So this time around I opted for one of SLC's more well known cupcake confectioners - So Cupcake out on Highland Drive. I have three words for you: Maple Bacon Cupcake. Mmmmmmmm. Let me tell you this place lives up to it's reputation! There was a nice assortment of cupcakes - probably about 8 flavors to choose from in both mini and regular sizes. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any drinks besides a soda machine (I mean really who wants soda with a cupcake, you need milk, coffee or hot chocolate).

But that all vanished when I took a bite of my maple bacon cupcake, it was fan-freaking-tastic! The frosting was soft, not overly sweet and definitely not overly buttery (which is always my problem with a butter cream). The cake was light and fluffy and not dry. Upon reading their website I found that unlike most places they do not freeze their cupcakes but make them fresh every morning. What's left over in the evenings is donated to hospitals, shelters and nursing homes.

If you're in the Salt Lake area and are craving a cupcake I strongly suggest you take a trip over to So Cupcakes! I could seriously eat a dozen of those Maple Bacon ones!

Why yes my 3 year old is still rear facing. Why? Because she hasn't maxed out the height weight limit and therefore this is the SAFEST position for her to be in:



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Waiting to be helped. When we first got to the store Kevin, one of the owners, was on the phone with CUPCAKE WARS!!!! We were happy to wait for him to finish up his phone call!



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Lanna's blue vanilla frosting and white cake:



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


My amazing maple bacon cupcake, please excuse the drool:



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing





Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing





Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


She refused to get her hands dirty and this was how she ate the entire cupcake:



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing





Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing





Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


In this last one I told her to make a pretty face... She takes after her aunty:



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


And in case you were worried that my car seat fanaticism hasn't rubbed off on my kids, Lanna insisted her new baby be "safe and buckled"



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

1 comment:

Bianka said...

Love it...lol Specially the buckled up dolly...lol